The long term goal of the Software Heritage initiative is to collect all publicly available software in source code form together with its development history, replicate it massively to ensure its preservation, and share it with everyone who needs it. The Software Heritage archive is growing over time as we crawl new source code from software projects and development forges. We will incrementally release archive search and browse functionalities — as of now you can check whether source code you care about is already present in the archive or not.
A significant amount of source code has already been ingested in the Software Heritage archive. It currently includes:
- public repositories from GitHub
- source packages from the Debian distribution
- public repositories from the former Gitorious code hosting service
- public repositories from the former Google Code project hosting service
- releases from the GNU project (as of August 2015)
As of today the archive already contains and keeps safe for you the following amount of objects: